About CBD dosing
CBD is dose-dependent. Adult dosing normally starts at 20-30mg for day of full-spectrum CBD.
There are many factors that should be taken into consideration with CBD dosing:
• Up to 125 lbs. should consider a 20mg-per-day starting daily dose, larger people would want to use roughly a proportional increased amount
• Age (faster metabolism in 25 year old vs. a 75 year old).
• Activity level and general health.
• Younger or more active people may want to increase frequency of use, perhaps adding a mid-day dose to a morning and night dose schedule.
• Neurological symptoms require less mg per day of CBD to be effective (sleep, anxiety, depression, PTSD, dementia)
• Pain and inflammation require the highest dosing (30-300mg daily)
— RA (rheumatoid arthritis), and fibromyalgia patients may not experience significant relief until reaching 70-90mg/daily
True or false—the more mg of CBD you take, the better the relief?
• True: pain and inflammation or quantifiable symptoms may experience more relief as dosage increases (once you find some relief at a certain level, keep increasing until you find maximum effectiveness (“sweet spot”)
• And false: some people experience an energy boost/euphoria at various doses
Full spectrum vs. isolate CBD
• Full-Spectrum (proper manufacturing and lab testing necessary to ensure no failed THC drug tests)
— Greater efficacy than isolate-based products
— Longer lasting effects (up to 12 hours) and fat solubility
• Isolate (pure CBD)
— Contains ZERO THC, but only hits one cannabinoid receptor (no “entourage effect”)
— Has potential to work well initially, but with a significant drop-off between weeks 2-4.
— Shorter acting and water soluble—flushes out of the body faster
Efficacy of CBD on the body (by route of entry)
• 100% efficacy: Injected into vein (fastest acting, but dangerous)
• +-80 efficacy: Smoking (unknown long term health effects, potentially bad)
• +-60% efficacy: Sublingual absorption (oil under the tongue is the #1 recommended administration route for CBD)
— 20 minutes to theoretically have the ability to affect every cell in the human body
• 10-20% efficacy: Oral consumption (eating)
— Longer lasting effects, but poor efficacy—digested and broken down by stomach enzymes, then hepatic system (liver) scrubs before entering bloodstream
In general, because the CBD supplement industry is still relatively new, there is a variety of opinions on exactly the right dose for individuals based on age, weight, condition, etc. Fortunately, CBD has been widely shown to be well-tolerated by most people. Wellphora offers a range of potencies to make it easier for you to get just the right amount for your particular needs.
What is the endocannabinoid system?
Cannabinoids, extracted from the cannabis plant (hemp, in the case of legal CBD), are chemicals that trigger the natural cannabinoid receptors in the brain and body. Located all over the body, they are known as CB1 and CB2 receptors, and are part of the body’s endocannabinoid system. This system is extremely critical to our body’s ability to maintain homeostasis (the equilibrium of conditions for optimal functioning of various systems in the body).
CB1 receptors are primarily found in the brain and central nervous system, and to a lesser extent in other tissues. CB1 receptors affect:
- Motor activity
- Motor coordination
- Short-term memory
- Pain perception
- Immune cells
CB2 receptors are located mostly in the peripheral organs, especially those associated with the immune system. CB2 receptors affect:
- Adipose tissue
- Skeletal muscle
- Reproductive system
- Immune system
- Respiratory tract
- Cardiovascular system
What about CBD for pets?
Like humans, all mammals have an endocannabinoid system, which works in the same way to balance natural functions in the body. This means that our pet friends can benefit from the same wellness effects afforded by CBD that we people do.
Wellphora offers two strengths of CBD oil scaled for pets’ systems. Our Zooneuro Pet CBD Oil 150mg is designed for smaller pets (up to 15 lbs.), while Zooneuro Pet CBD Oil 300mg is designed for larger pets (15-70 lbs.). Those with even larger animals may want to treat with our higher-potency people oils, as they are based on the same carrier ingredient.
Zooneuro Pet CBD Oil is an all natural product designed to meet the needs of pet owners wary of placing unnatural or unproven ingredients into their pet’s system. Many pet owners report an increased calmness in their pets while owners of older pets report their pet’s relief from ailments and that the pet is much more comfortable. Pet mobility is often increased as well. Zooneuro Pet CBD Oil contains no artificial flavors, and is made from the same organically farmed hemp extracts and finest fractionated coconut oil as our people products.
Pet owners can trust that they’re putting only the best ingredients into their pet’s system with Zooneuro Pet CBD Oil by Wellphora.